Safety begins with these two acronyms A.C.T.S. and P.R.O.V.E.
A – Assume that every firearm is loaded.
C – Control the muzzle direction at all times.
T – Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.
S – See that the firearm is unloaded and PROVE it is safe.
P – Point your firearm in the safest possible direction.
R – Remove all ammunition.
O – Observe the chamber.
V – Verify the feeding path.
E – Examine the bore.
Please observe the following rules to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited on club property
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages before or during shooting.
- Do not bring loaded firearms into the club.
- Follow the directions of the Range Officer at all times.
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- When first picking up a firearm, conduct A.C.T.S. and P.R.O.V.E.
- When handling any firearm, keep the action open.
- Load your firearm only at the direction of the Range Officer.
- Point the muzzle of your loaded firearm down range.
- While on the firing line, firearms may not be pointed more than 15 degrees up or down.
- If interrupted while shooting, unload your firearm and make it safe before setting it down.
- Should your firearm misfire, STOP and continue to point it down range for at least 60 seconds before attempting to remove the cartridge.
- Always leave unattended firearms unloaded and with actions open.
- Gallery observers are required to stand well back of the firing line.
What to do when a Range Officer calls a Cease Fire.
- STOP FIRING IMMEDIATELY.
- Maintain muzzle control and unload your firearm.
- Place your firearm on the bench, muzzle pointed down range with the magazine removed and the action open.
- Step away from the firing line and stand behind the red line.
- Await further instructions from the Range Officer.